SpeSeas, in collaboration with Save Our Sea Turtles (SOS), would like to work with YOU! We are engaging members of the public, as citizen scientists, to help us monitor and conserve sea turtles in Trinidad and Tobago.
SEE A SEA TURTLE?
Send us info, pics and vids of any sea turtles you see.
Pick your point of contact:
Enter your dive logs with us here whether you spot sea turtles or not. Logging all your dives with us will help us monitor the frequency of turtle sightings at local dive sites.
Five species of sea turtles are found around Trinidad and Tobago – on our nesting beaches and in the water. All are considered globally threatened by the IUCN and locally are designated as Environmentally Sensitive Species.
In order to effectively conserve sea turtles, we need to gather more information about their habitat use.
With the information you contribute, we can:
- Identify critical habitats, estimate relative abundance and monitor trends in abundance.
- Identify individual turtles using Photo-ID software.
- Examine movements and residency times of individuals.
- Identify threats of concern at each location.
- Recommend targeted interventions to conserve these species.
Click here for a handy turtle identification guide created by the Wider Caribbean Sea Turtle Conservation Network (WIDECAST) to assist in accurate species identification for the sightings you report.
TIPS FOR TAKING PHOTOS:
For best results with the photo identification software, you should ideally aim to get at least three (3) clear shots of the head (left, right and top) from as close as possible without disturbing or harassing the turtle. If these shots are not possible, still upload whatever you can get as all reports are valuable even if the photos are not ideal.
TIPS FOR RESPONSIBLE TURTLE WATCHING:
- DO NOT use flash photography for nesting turtles.
- ALWAYS approach a nesting turtle from the rear.
- ALWAYS maintain a distance of at least two metres (2m) from a nesting turtle.
- NEVER touch or stand in the path of the turtle.
- DO NOT chase, grab or otherwise harass turtles when snorkelling or diving.
- DO NOT feed sea turtles.
- GO SLOW and give sea turtles space when boating in shallow sea turtle habitat.
Click here for some general guidelines when visiting turtle nesting beaches.
WHO ARE OUR PROJECT FUNDERS?
- SPAW-RAC – Short-term small-scale grant (2022).
- Experiment Foundation – Crowdfunding (You can read up more on the project and follow our progress with updates and lab notes here).